Thursday, July 19, 2007

Worcestershire

I just received the list of summer reading I am to complete by August 9, and so I purchased the books at once... the ones I didn't already have, of course. How to Read Literature Like a Professor, Huck Finn, Lord of the Flies, A Raisin in the Sun.

I started with HTRLLAP, because I felt like it would help me out with the other books. At first, I really liked it. It was very cleverly written, not too spartan, but not too silly. After a while though, it grew redundant. Extremely redundant. The author - Thomas Foster - keeps beating the same theme - but exchanging some of the aspects in each chapter for different ones - over the head like he's pounding a steak. Okay, yes, I understand that writers have active sub-consciouses that sneak in other parts of life, as in daily, casual and unsuspecting concepts like Greek mythology, the Bible, Shakespeare, sex, and the weather. I get it now. You can move on to another point. Or are you capable?

*cough* Other than that, it's pretty good.

No comments: