Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Bask

Here's another letter that I will never send.

Dear J.K. Rowling,
You get a lot of fanmail, I take it. A lot of fan mail which you will never read because there's probably enough of it to bury you alive. You probably have a vault all for the fanmail you get, an enormous vault into which your workers and interns push wheelbarrows of adoration.

I am just another typical teenage girl wanting to know how the hell you did it. I am a normal fan who enjoyed your books very, very much. I would like to think that I am not, but I am. There is no way to deny it.
And I have a few things to say.

First, I think your name rocks. "J.K." Is that... seriously your name? Do people walk around calling you "J.K.", whenever you're not being "Ms. Rowling" or, better and more likely, "Ms. Rowling the Great and Talented"? I've always wanted a cool name. My name isn't anything good, really, only strange.

Second, what do you think of all this? What do you think of being the great mistress of your own alternate universe, your own fan-created cult, a movie series based upon your work of imagination? How do you handle it? More importantly, how do you get around town without being mauled by rabid onlookers? Do you wear a wig when you go grocery shopping or something like that?

And third, I really hope you keep writing and doing what you want. Really and truly. For you, it should be about you writing and creating things. I really hope you don't get hung up on all these fans expecting great things from you. Ignore us. Honestly, just write for yourself. Do not feel pressured. If you have another idea for a book, let it out and don't be afraid of disturbing the image of being "The Harry Potter Lady". Of course HP must be a very important part of your life, but I know, somehow, that is not what defines you as a person. You are a fantastic writer. And, now that you have all the world under your spell, you can do anything. Your opportunities are endless. Your are not Harry Potter and you are not your fans. You are you, and you can do what you choose to do. I hope you keep writing for the sake of writing, and not writing to please the world around you. That's what it's all about!

I'm behind you all the way. I think you are incredible, and so do thousands of others. Bask in your glory. It is well-deserved.

Best regards.

No comments: